Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Way behind on updating my blog...

I turned into Busy Woman At Work again last week. Being given the job of scheduling the sessions where we model the new SAP processes and system transactions doesn't sound like it would be that much of a headache, does it? Yet it ended up working me overtime again. Plus, I had a head cold - not at all bad, just enough to slow me down. All of which added up to no free time. (And I even had the opportunity for a social life, which I couldn't take at the time! Making up for that this week - but better not say anything else about that in a public forum, at least not yet. Wouldn't want to jinx it. :))

But enough whining about me - let me whine about politics instead:
  • Just Remember, Global Warming Doesn't Exist - If a picture says a thousand words, have an essay...
  • But Don't You Trust Big Brother? - I don't know which I'm more disturbed by: the disregard for privacy, the fact that kids under 14 are having sex, or the fact that it is assumed that kids under 14 having sex are victims of rape or molestation. I knew kids that age who were doing the consentual thing, and that was way back in my day when the dinosaurs roamed...
  • It's Not Enough That They Banned Same-Sex Marriage By Law In Indiana... - they have to waste legislative time making it a constitutional amendment, too. (Now, the US Constitution says that "No State shall... pass any... Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts" (Section 10, Clause 1) but apparently that doesn't count when the holy sacred contract of marriage is involved. Is it any wonder I have used my legal marital state as a financial convenience? It sure doesn't have any meaning...)
Enough cynicism. This next link isn't a whine at all. I was reminded of this site in a conversation with someone Sunday and realized I'd never linked it to my blog. I think there are some fascinating ideas on this site, and wish more people looked for middle ground.

Meanwhile, this falls into the What Will They Think Of Next category! Actually, it's a pretty neat idea, but what kind of creativity does it take to come up with an inflatable concrete shelter?

And you know, the fact that the words added to Webster's Dictionary this year included wedgie, Al Qaeda, blog, cargo pants, irritable bowel syndrome and partial-birth abortion says something about our current society. I don't know what it says, mind you, but it says something! :)

More later!

1 comment:

Brian D. said...

Aha! About time you've posted something :)

Marriage isn't a contract. What you're looking for is Article IV. Section 1. "Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state."

The issue of Same Sex Marriage is going to test what exactly full faith and credit means. A state can choose NOT to apply full faith and credit to something that is against it's policies. States will recognize drivers license, but not a law or medical licenses.

Unless someone comes up with an interesting argument or the Supreme Court goes more into State's Rights I figure we'll have SSM within 20 years.