Monday, May 23, 2005

A 16th Century Rock Band?

I'm back to working a whole buncha hours right now, as my big project is coming up... three weeks earlier than we originally had in the project plan! So I'm scrambling to get things ready for two-and-a-half weeks of sessions in less than half the original planning time. Needless to say, I'm back to working days, nights, and weekends. Still, I took time to take the kids to St. Roch's carnival Friday night and go see Hitchhiker's Guide on Saturday with the gentleman friend and two of his friends, who I enjoyed meeting. (Hitchhiker was OK, not 'knock your socks off', but OK. I did think they got the surreal 'feel' of the book right. Fortunately, it's been long enough since I read the book that I couldn't tell you how closely it followed the plot. As if the book had a linear plot, anyway!) Sunday during the day, I worked several hours at home in an unusually and gloriously empty house (the kids' dad kindly took them away for a bit). And Sunday evening, the gentleman friend drove all the way downtown to take me and my laptop to the Abbey and buy me dinner, for the dubious pleasure of my company while my nose was in my laptop and my head in Microsoft Access (Access should be MUCH easier than it is, darnit!). So I spent another couple hours working there while he prepped for the class he's teaching today. Now that's what I call kindness.

While at the Abbey, my friend got the guy behind the counter talking (as he is wont to do--the man's never met a stranger!) and found out he has a record label, and is now trying to convince me to work on writing music more and doing open mics places like there. I do not think any of my music is anywhere near ready for public performance. For one thing, I don't actually play an instrument, I just put things together on computer, so the only part I could do "live" would be vocals unless I could find some other instrumentalist. And I just don't think I have enough songs, and those that I have I don't think are good enough for performance. I'm not normally known as being terribly shy or modest, so I -think- I'm being legitimately critical. OTOH, I can think of someone I know who writes who never thinks his work is good enough when I'm quite certain it is, so perhaps I'm having a similar issue. It's just not one I associate with myself, so I'm not sure. Perhaps I'll post a song or two (which is really all I have recorded) and see what people think. But not until after my project kickoff Wednesday! Aieeeee! (<--sound of distress)

Meanwhile, also while at the Abbey, we got given a flier for a group playing there Friday night, and if I can swing childcare I think we'll go. The group is called Il Troubadore and bills itself as "Indy's 16th Century Rock Band." This sounds like fun! And by Friday, I'm sure I'll need some fun...

1 comment:

Jon Silpayamanant said...

Hey Suzanne. I don't know if you got the chance to catch us that night, but thanks for posting a link to our website!

Best,

Jon (from il Troubadore)