Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A slight reprieve, but only slight...

Edited to add links at the end...

Kickoff isn't until next Tuesday now. We're doing one session Thursday, but it's just the IT session, not one of the big manufacturing operations sessions.

What sessions? Well (not that any of you care, but since I'm likely to talk about it a lot in passing, I might as well try the explanation one time) my role at work is *takes deep breath* Local Security Steward and OCM Support (Organizational Change Management) for the IndyDry GBIP Release 12 Local Implementation Team at Eli Lilly and Company. *gasps for breath* The Officer and Gentleman ("OAG" from now on - I needed a blog nickname for him :) ) says he doesn't understand how I don't pass out when I record my greeting on my voice mail. :)

In words of less syllables, I do organization and security design and maintenance for our SAP implementation. Ok, that's not a -lot- less syllables, but I don't know how else to describe it.

*tries again* I gather the information that lets us figure out who needs what security, put together the security sets, and assign them to everyone. Along the way, I help people make new org charts since there are a lot of changes to who does what. Is that better? :)

Anyway... two of our major milestones are coming up, and they're two that I own. One is Future State Org Design (FSOD, not to be confused with FOAD). In FSOD sessions, we get people together and say, "Look at the jobs you have now. What tasks do they do? Now look at the future tasks and jobs. Are the same people doing them? Are there tasks that go away? Are there tasks that get added? Do you need more people, or less, or just to shift people around?"

Doing this for an organization of about 750 people is a Big Freakin' Job. And I run all the sessions. I mean, I have people there who can answer questions I can't (of which there are legion), both on the business side and on the SAP developer side, but in the middle is me to facilitate, compile the information we put together, and make sure we get all the data we need. 'Cause if we don't, we're likely to have people who don't have the right access in the system after implementation. And guess whose fault that would be? You got it.

I had a weird moment the other day, too. I was working on scheduling the sessions and our administrative assistant suggested I delegate my calendar to her so she could schedule things. This boggled my mind. I'm thinking, waitaminnit--it wasn't that many years ago that I *was* a secretary! I don't delegate calendars to other people. I'm used to -being- the admin, not -having- an admin! It was an odd feeling, to say the least.

Anyway, these are the sessions I'm scrambling to put together - make sure we have the right people invited, make sure all parts of the organization are covered, get things on people's calendars in time for them to actually show up, create presentations of "what we have now" and "what we're going to have" for about 15 BIG processes, hope the application engineers who really know what they're talking about show up... :)

Aiieeeee. Just... aiieee.

Don't get me wrong - I'm getting a big charge out of the job. I -think- I still like writing procedures more. But I like -owning- part of the implementation, and playing a bigger role, and getting to go over so much of the new processes with people.

I could, however, live without the deadlines.

More later, if I don't expire of sheer frantic busy-ness...

Links for the curious:

No comments: